In my previous post I explained how I generated the sequences used in the Lynx Fastlife app – which you can read about here. Now I’m gonna run through how I did the overlays and data insertion for the app – the part that I think is the really cool part.
Its one of the biggest and most complex projects I have had to work on in a long time and I thought it was worth going through some of the key elements explain how we got it done.
A while back I was given the task of trying to animate a banner that was to go on a site we were building at Visual Jazz. All in a usual days work I thought until I saw the design mockup and realised it had been photo-shopped to the bejeezus.
The idea behind it was that it was meant to look like when you take a sparkler and move it around really fast in the air – the glow leaves a line of light behind it for a few seconds.
After a fair bit of messing around I finally came up with something I think looked pretty cool, which you can check out here…
The Lynx Fast Life campaign I worked on at Visual Jazz had a design style that was just screaming for more than just the usual blurs and fades you usually use on a flash website. Something that looked more like After Effects then flash.
After a bit of messing around with prototypes I finally came up with something I thought looked pretty cool and it ended up getting used throughout the entire site.
Not too long ago I was given the task of making some old AS1 and AS2 games work inside a brand new AS3 site that we had built for a client. Whilst the basic concept seemed simple enough – load it in with a Loader – I soon realised there were a bunch of problems that needed to be addressed – most of which I couldn’t find any information on.
For the sake of others I have compiled a list of these here, along with the solutions I found, when there was one.
Here is a quick summary of some of the techniques I used when building this game.
The rest was a combination of some basic 3D and a few little tricks. To find out more, read on
Recently I did some work on the a project that required me to use some Displacement Maps. I have never used them before, but after playing with them for a bit I soon realised something… they are very awesome.
They do take a little bit of getting used to, so to help with the experimentation I created this little app that makes it easy to test out different image and maps combinations.
To help myself out, I wrote a quick little Flex app that lets you test how a regular expression will work with a particular string. It lets you try out all the Flash Regular Expression methods and see each of the results.
To top it all off, I put together a quick overview of the different Flash Regular Expression methods that are available, as well as a short overview of the Regular Expression syntax.
You can check it all out right here…
A while back I was given my first flash project that required me to use Papervision 3D. If that wasn’t daunting enough, the design of the project required that there be a depth of field effect on the elements – something that papervision cannot do. (If i am wrong about that, please don’t tell me now…)
After learning the basics of papervision – which has plenty of tutorials on the interwebs – I started brainstorming an approach for faking depth of field. Here is what I came up with.